Okay…so every once in a while, I will use an ingredient that won’t be just lying around your kitchen. Saffron isn’t something you will use often. It can actually be kinda expensive. But the flavor is so unique and delicious that everyone should experience it at some point in life. You probably already have. Ever had paella? Saffron is the spice that gives that tasty Spanish dish its distinct flavor and yellowish hue.
Risotto is a type of rice with a rich, creamy texture. Remix it with saffron to take this already lush side dish to another level.
Start by heating the chicken stock, covered. Simmer it on low heat. Next, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saute pan and add shallots (or onions). I think I used onions this time because that’s what I had in the pantry. Either one works as long as the onion has a mild, sweet flavor. Saute them until tender but don’t let them brown. This takes about 8 minutes.Add rice and stir to coat the grains with butter. Saute rice for 5 minutes.
Add white wine. Now add stock one cup at a time, stirring constantly. Cook until fully absorbed. Continue to add chicken stock one cup at a time, waiting until the liquid is fully absorbed before adding more.
When it looks all rich and creamy and delicious, add the saffron and parsley. Blend it well. Remember, a little saffron goes a long way. So don’t try to turn your risotto orange. A light, faint yellow is good enough. Now add your salt and pepper, to taste.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots or one small sweet onion, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- salt and pepper
- Heat the chicken stock, covered. Simmer on low heat.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and saute shallots until tender but not brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to coat the grains with butter. Saute rice for 5 minutes.
- Add white wine.
- Now add stock one cup at a time, stirring constantly. Cook until fully absorbed.
- Continue to add chicken stock one cup at a time, waiting until the liquid is fully absorbed before adding more.
- Add saffron and parsley. Blend well.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.