Everyone loves my potatoes. I make them better than anyone else. No one makes breakfast potatoes better than I. In this instance, clearly modesty is not a priority. But seriously, these really are some good potatoes. And super easy to make too! There are only 5 ingredients. Potatoes, onions, oil, salt pepper and red pepper flakes. Okay that’s 6, but who’s counting?
Dice up some potatoes. I used Yukon gold ones this time, but practically any potato will do…even sweet potatoes.Next, pour oil into a hot pan. Add the potatoes. Try to use a pan large enough for all the potatoes to lay flat in one layer. This will allow all of the taters to make contact with the heat and brown nicely. Cook the potatoes on medium-high heat, uncovered for about 5 minutes.
Then flip them over. Now add the diced red onion, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper, and cover the pan. Covering the pan allows the onions and potatoes to cook through. Lower the heat and let the potatoes cook for about 10 minutes. This is when the kitchen will start to smell good and people will start lingering into the kitchen to investigate.
After 10 minutes, uncover the potatoes and raise the heat back to medium-high. Now you can brown them the rest of the way. Continue to cook the potatoes uncovered. Flip them over and let them cook undisturbed on all sides until they’re all brown and delicious. Yum!
- 5 large yukon gold or red potatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 whole red onion, chopped
- Olive Oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Dice potatoes into large chunks
- Pour oil into a hot pan. Use just enough to line the bottom of the pan.
- Add potatoes flat in one layer.
- Cook the potatoes on medium-high heat, uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Flip potatoes over, then add diced red onion, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Cover pan, lower heat and cook potatoes for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, uncover potatoes and raise heat back to medium-high.
- Continue to cook potatoes uncovered, flipping them over and cooking, undisturbed, on all sides until they're evenly browned.